Friday, May 13, 2011

It Is What It Is - Completed!



My journey as a virgin author has been an experience to say the least.  As I embarked on this road of creative writing, I challenged myself to become a DIVA: Determined Individual with a Voice to become an Author.  It took me three years to complete this novel, and I have loved every minute of it.  From deciding to self-publish to changing my character’s story lines a few times, I have completed the task I began.  Having found and reconnected with a friend from college, I trusted her with my manuscript and hired her to be my editor.  She did not disappoint, and at one point, I found myself challenged with having to give her more as she gave me homework to perfect my story and simply told me “you are holding back….I need you to bring it!” And so I did.

As I hold my manuscript in my hands, pleased with what I have done, I am overjoyed at the fact that I created what I set out to do.  Years ago, while serving in the Army, I made a list of things I wanted to do in life.  One of the tasks listed was to write a book.  Nineteen years after being told by my professor to use my hobby to work for me, I am happy to say that I am doing just that.  And it feels good to sit down and read a book that I wrote!

This is not the end of that list….I have started the sequel and have many ideas to keep pressing forward.  The author in me has come alive.  So, watch out because I have some stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment